Brown Sugar-Glazed Carrots
No, carrots won’t give you X-ray vision or cure blindness, but the vitamins found in the vegetable can help promote overall eye health. Here’s one of our favorite ways to eat this yummy veggie that’s packed with vitamin A and lutein. Serve these tasty carrots with pork loin and rolls for a delicious meal that everyone will love!
- 2 pounds fresh carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Heat 1 inch of water to boiling in a 3-quart saucepan. Add carrots and 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Cover and heat to boiling. Reduce heat. Simmer covered for 15 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- While carrots are cooking, heat brown sugar, butter, orange peel, ground cinnamon and another 1/2 teaspoon salt in a skillet over medium heat. Stir constantly until sugar is dissolved and mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
- Drain carrots. Stir carrots into brown sugar mixture. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally and gently, until carrots are glazed and hot. Stir pecans into mixture and serve.